Water pollution is harmful to human health and the environment. It is largely caused by human activity. International, European and UK laws have been developed to tackle water pollution. Find out more in our law search page.
This section aims to useful information on:
- The sources of water pollution
- How water pollution can be prevented and controlled
- The laws and regulations that regulate activities causing water pollution
- Water pollution offences
- Water quality standards
- The role of the water industry
- Regulatory bodies that deal with water pollution in the UK
The Marine Pollution page gives information about pollution of the seas.