A1 A2 A3 A4

Future noise from proposed developments

This page deals with proposals for developments or activities that could cause noise disturbance in the future.

For information about noise that is affecting you now, visit What Type of Noise?

Controlling noise under the planning system

People and businesses wishing to build new developments will generally first have to obtain planning permission. They will also generally need planning permission if they want to change the way a building is used: for example, a change from a shop to a bar.

A noise survey is normally required for new developments that could create noise nuisance in existing residential properties. This would allow the the Local Planning Authority's environmental protection unit to decide if the development is suitable, or whether adequate measures are in place to prevent noise pollution.

You have the right to take part in the planning process in your local area. To find out more about how to get involved, visit Have Your Say on Planning Applications.

Find out more about the planning system by clicking on the links in the Related Links box.

How to object to planning proposals

How to object to planning proposals

Rosie Oliver explains how to object to planning proposals.

UKELA is not responsible for the content of external internet sites