Policy and Law Making Bodies
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
- is the central government department responsible for laws and policies on flood and coastal erosion risk management in England.
- has powers to grant aid and funding for flood risk management and coastal erosion projects in England.
The Scottish Government
- proposes laws and sets policy framework for flood risk management in Scotland.
- approves objectives and actions set out in flood risk management plans for Scotland.
- has powers to grant aid and funding for flood risk management projects in Scotland.
Scottish Environment Protection Agency
- Unitary authorities in England & Wales must develop, maintain, apply and monitor a local flood risk management strategy in their areas.
- County councils must do this for areas with no unitary authority.
- In Scotland, every local authority must develop, maintain, apply and monitor a local flood risk management plan in its area.
UKELA is not responsible for the content of external