A1 A2 A3 A4

Competent persons’ schemes and self-certification

These schemes allow individuals and organisations who are competent in their field to self-certify that their work complies with the requirement of the Building Regulations. Once a building work is self-certified by a competent person, it is not subject to a Building Control or Authorised Inspector’s inspection. All self-certified work must still be reported to the scheme organiser, who in turn will inform the building control or approved inspector that the work has taken place and issue a certificate to the owner or developer of the property. The reporting process must be completed within 30 days from when the work ends

Works that can be self certified

  • Electrical installations
  • Heating and hot water installations
  • Air-conditioning and ventilation
  • Replacement windows
  • WCs
  • Showers

These works must meet technical requirements in the building regulations and must not make other services and fittings less safe that they were before. For example, if you intend to put up replacement double glazing in your house, it must not make the means of escape or air supplies for combustion appliances less safe than they were before the double glazing replacement.

The Communities and Local Government website provides a useful guide for all homeowners: Building work, replacements and repairs to your home.

UKELA is not responsible for the content of external internet sites