A1 A2 A3 A4

Other Approvals

Other approvals apart from planning and building regulations permission may be required before you can go ahead with your building works. This will depend on the type of building work you intend to carry out.

Listed buildings
Listed building consent can be obtained from your local authority. It is required, if you intend to demolish a listed building or carry out building works, internally or externally, on a listed building that would affect its character as a site of architectural or historic interest.
Rights of way
You will need to get consent (separate from any planning permission) from your local authority if you intend to carry out any development on your property that obstructs a public right of way. Contact your local authority for further information on public rights of way. Search for your local authority here (external website).
Conservation areas
Conservation areas consent can be obtained from your local authority. You will need this consent for certain external works on buildings in a conservation area, including demolition and some work to trees. Find details of your local authority here (external website).
Ancient monuments
These are structures of special historic interest or importance. Many have been scheduled as nationally important archaelogical sites and include special earthworks and ruins. Please note that it is an offence to damage a scheduled ancient monument. Consent must be obtained from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, before you proceed with any development that may affect this class of monuments. The English Heritage or Welsh Historic Monuments (CADW) can also be contacted, if you intend to carry out any development on non-scheduled monuments.
Party Walls etc. Act 1996
Building works such as work on an existing wall shared with another property, excavation work near a boundary or building on the boundary of a neighbouring property would require approval under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. The Communities and Local Government website gives guidance on what to do.
Tree works
Many trees, particularly those located in conservation areas are subject to tree preservation orders. This means that you may require consent from your local authority before you can prune or cut them down. If you are in doubt about whether you require consent, contact your local authority now. Find details of your local authority here (external website).


Party Wall etc. Act 1996

UKELA is not responsible for the content of external internet sites