Keep the Air Clean
Since air pollution is damaging to the environment and human health, we all need to play our part in reducing the level of air pollution in our neighbourhoods.
Here are a few ways we can also help to reduce air pollution in our homes and on the road.
For expert impartial advice on how to save energy in your home or on the move, contact your local Energy Saving Trust advice line. The Related Link (to the right of this page) takes you to the different helpline phone numbers for this service in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
- Use energy efficient appliances.
- Turn off appliances when not in use.
- Recycle waste and old equipment. (Visit this link for more information on your nearest recycling centre.)
On the Move
- When you don't have to drive, walk, use public transport or cycle.
- Take part in a car-sharing arrangement especially during peak traffic time.
- Avoid revving, accelerate gradually and use cruise control when on the motorway.
- Regular engine tuning and car maintainance. Remember to change your oil filters regularly and repair any fuel leak.
- Shop online.
- Invest if you can in less polluting vehicles.
- Try and fill up during the cooler hours of the day and keep your fuel tank lid tightly sealed. This helps to reduce emissions caused by evaporation.